Why Pink Broom?
As an African American bride, representation is a big sticking point with me. Overwhelmingly, the bridal industry markets itself to brides who fit society's ideal of the "perfect girl," thinking that everyone wants to look just like that on her wedding day. Anyone who doesn't have $50k to spend and who isn't white, thin, or straight is left out. If that doesn't match you, there are "alternative" planning resources for brides that want to buck the mainstream completely.

Well as it turns out, I'm in between these extremes - I love nice things and pretty accessories and am fashion conscious, but I don't match the "ideal." I started trying to find examples of other "in-betweens" like me, but it's not so easy.

So I created "Pink Broom," to add one more voice to the bridal market. I'm on both sides of the industry (I'm also a photographer) and hopefully can provide some unique insight. I'll chronicle the process of planning my own wedding and the experience of being an "other" in such a difficult industry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment