Let Them Eat Some Other Kind of Cake
Despite our wedding being almost a year away, there are some things we've already decided. For some reason, neither of us can get excited about wedding cake. We always laugh when that cake show commercial comes on and the baker says, "The cake is the center of the wedding!" Really? Cake?! The center? Of the WEDDING? And then we dissolve into giggles.

I don't know why; I've been to plenty of weddings and had some pretty good cake. But I just can't justify paying $600-$1,000 (or more!) for what might just turn out to be expertly decorated waxy sugar. Although I definitely appreciate the artistry of those cake bakers & decorators; I know it's hard work!

So far, we've come up with the idea of having a cake display table. I'd love to have some cakes from our favorite local stores (Whole Foods makes an amazing plain round cake), accompanied by some photos on display and, Mr. PinkBroom's idea, to have some interesting or humorous cake toppers. I believe my mother saved her cake topper from her marriage to my dad nearly 40 (!) years ago; maybe we could put that among them.

I love this cake table from Jill & Mike's wedding:



For the record, I can't stand those cake toppers showing the bride dragging the groom away somewhere, those are awful. But maybe we could find a way to display a bunch of little humorous cake toppers, like this one currently making the rounds:



Ha!

Anyone else out there doing something alternative for your wedding cake?

0 comments:

Post a Comment