What was I thinking?!
Well, my outdoor wedding dreams have been put to rest.

This past weekend, we went to the historical site, the site of the photo in the previous post, and it was a let down. The buildings are run down, the fee is outrageous for what you get (and you have to PAY for air conditioning), the parking & restrooms are far away (a big inconvenience for guests, many of whom are elderly) and it's just not going to work.

And also? It's SO HOT!! It feels like it's 200 degrees outside. What was I thinking, hoping for a sunset ceremony in Texas in July? I can't stand the heat for 5 minutes! And I want to wear a wedding dress and get married in it? No, thank you! I guess I've been reading too much Martha Stewart.

On the way from that place, we stopped by a very cool loft south of downtown. The director was there setting up for a wedding, and I felt terrible for interrupting! But she was gracious enough to spend a few minutes with us and give us a tour. How nice! It looks so interesting:






It's a pretty cool venue, and has an advantage over most lofts in that they provide lounge furniture, tables, chairs, and set-up. We have the other advantage of choosing our own caterer and getting to buy our own drinks. The Fiancé loves it and was ready to book!

But I am not so sure. A loft certainly seems to fit us. We're a pretty eclectic couple, we plan to have international music at our wedding. We love travel & culture. We watch international & independent films. Our favorite store is Anthropologie. There are so many ways we are not "mainstream." So there are definitely aspects of us that match a "cool loft" wedding.

So why is the decision so hard? Well, I am having a hard time letting go of that classic pink ballroom wedding aesthetic. I mean, it's so easy! Light pink is everywhere! Pink ballroom weddings are ubiquitous, and I see hundreds of them every day. It's easy to find a classic A-line romantic dress, perfectly pink swirly invitations, and lots of other traditional details. Not to mention it's the wedding I've pictured since I was much younger.

All this time I've been loudly decrying the sameness of these cookie-cutter weddings, and now I find that underneath it all, I want one of my own, even if it doesn't quite match us.

Should a wedding reflect your personal style, or should it be a reflection of what you aspire to? The latter seems absurd, especially since no matter how you "style" it, an American wedding is at once timeless, ritualistic, and yet hopelessly dated.

Stay tuned! I bet when you started reading this blog you didn't know I'd turn out to be so wildly inconsistent!

0 comments:

Post a Comment